September 2019 GoLI Member Spotlight
1. What does your cacher name mean? Hi. My name is Allison. Nickname Allie. Been called Al by my close friends and Alliebaba by my even closer oldest friends. One of my oldest girlfriends always called me Alliebaba. I started this habit at 40 years old and I’m a Beastie Boys fan. Plus. I enjoy thieving around the woods.....well add it all up and I’m Alliebaba40thieves.
2. When did you start caching and how did you find out about it? In 2013, my friend Erin (Misslizzielivestohike) mentioned this game I’ve now learned to obsess about. A physician at work told her about it in passing. We were on a regular hike on the Greenbelt and Erin said “hey one of those things that Tom mentioned is over here somewhere”. We attempted this cache 3 times and never found it. We decided to try a second cache right nearby in KP. At the time I didn’t know about leaving swag, or even bringing a writing utensil. We found it, opened it and didn’t know what else do after that. Julie (Mechmom) and I were at lunch getting guacamole and she pulls up the app and says something about geocaching. I said wait. I’ve heard of this game. her enthusiasm that day in September of 2015 about the game is what got me a premium membership. I continue to find one after another. Just hiking without a mission got boring. I needed a goal. My OCD about clearing green dots kicked in.
3. Describe your first find. Small camo canister. Kind of simple, easy find in the crotch of a tree. I didn’t have the app and was just following coords on my friends phone. I was intrigued.
4. How many finds do you have? 1255
a. Traditional Geocache - 1128
b. Multi-cache - 31
c. Virtual Cache - 23
d. Letterbox Hybrid - 9
e. All Event Cache Types - 11
f. Event Cache - 10
g. Cache In Trash Out Event - 1
h. Mystery Cache - 39
i. Webcam Cache - 1
j. EarthCache – 13
k. Favorite find type? Multis or adventure caches. I love caches that can only be accessed by kayak. Most recently I just discovered my first Web cam.
l. Pick one favorite find. The matrix by Mushnikas, really anything by Mushnikas...wait why are they spotlighting me, they should be spotlighting Ari. The Bridges and Arches in Central Park was a great one as well.
5. How many caches have you hidden. None
6. Stat Review -
a. How many state and country souvenirs? 17 states and 3 counties.
b. Fizzy? 49/81
c. Calendar Days? 332/366
d. Streak? 18 consecutive days from 7/19 to 8/19 when trying to fill in my calendar.
e. Slump? 49 consecutive days without a find last summer
f. FTFs? 22, I think
7. Do you trade SWAG? So my hubby decided to get personalized pens with my “handle” on them 2 Christmas’ ago. It was a 500 pack. After those were gone he replaced it with a second box. Only difference was blue ink vs black ink and slightly different font. Not too noticeable. I will leave a pen in every cache it will fit into, sometimes more if it looks clean and there is plenty of room like in an ammo can.
8. Like to move trackables? Yessssss. How many do you own? 23 plus a few that I haven’t activated yet. I don’t care if they really follow their mission, but i do like to watch and read their stories as they move on.
9. Cache with GPS or Phone? Phone only so far.
10. Do you have any geocaching goals? Finishing lists of my favorite COs
11. Do you cache with anyone? MissLizzielikestohike, dfrosty Kelly, Mjg231, ChrisfromLI (my hubby), snowy owl (My daughter) mechmom, Asooka, and most recently MG....really anyone who will cache with me.
12. Bucket list cache? Too many to list....I’ll need another page for that one.
13. Besides geocaching, what else should we know about you? What keeps me busy is being a nurse, a mom, and a wife. I love to go on vacation, and get out of dodge (plus I get to experience more caches). I kayak, I love photography, and adventure.
14. What do you want GoLI to work on? More fun games to inspire us to get out!!!!