The GoLI member spotlight for January is Susan Jaycox (RootsSeacher). Thanks Susan!
GoLI Member Spotlight – January 2020
1. What does your cacher name mean?
In addition to always searching in the roots of trees, I’m a Genealogist. It seemed like the perfect name for both hobbies.
2. When did you start caching and how did you find out about it?
We started on 07/26/2010 under the name TeamDan327. Dan was a Boy Scout and was trying to earn the Geocaching Merit Badge. He earned it and his Eagle Scout Award.
3. Describe your first find.
Our first find was GCVDAW Monumental Micro Series #1 by BatteriesIncluded. We found it without a GPS using landmarks.
4. How many finds do you have? 4,643
Traditional Geocache 3,798
Virtual Cache 74
Letterbox Hybrid 22
Event Cache 160
Cache In-Trash Out Event 8
Mega-Event Cache 6
Giga-Event Cache 1
Mystery Cache 334
Webcam Cache 4
Wherigo Cache 18
NGS Benchmarks * 363
Lab Cache 102
a. Favorite find type? Events & Mystery Caches
b. Pick one favorite find? GC5BKAQ Terezin Games 2015, Czech Republic
5. How many caches have you hidden? 304 + 14 Adopted Caches
a. Hide count by type
Traditional Geocaches 300
Event Cache 5
Mystery Cache 12
b. Favorite hide type? Mystery Caches
c. Pick one favorite cache that you’ve hidden? GC446B7 Noah’s Ark-The owner of the home was one of the nicest Muggles I’ve met. When his lawn ornaments were stolen, he ended up with 10 times more animals donated by friends and neighbors.
6. Stats review -
a. How many state and country souvenirs? 29 Total
23 States & 6 Countries: USA, Austria, Canada, Czechia, Germany, Poland
b. Jasmer challenge? 226/236 Months (96%)
c. Fizzy challenge? 62 Found out of 81 Difficulty/Terrain Combinations
d. Calendar days? 366 Found Dates, out of 366
e. Streak? 85 consecutive days with finds from 05/09/2012 to 08/01/2012
f. Slump? 59 consecutive days without a find from 01/07/2011 to 03/07/2011
g. FTFs? 59
h. Best Day: 48 caches in one day on 07/22/2017 (Berkshire Geobash #6)
i. Best Month: 153 caches in May of 2018 (GIGA Event)
7. Do you trade SWAG? Yes
8. Like to move trackables? Yes, have Moved/Discovered 813, How many do you own? 50+
9. Cache with GPS or Phone? Phone
10. Do you have any geocaching goals? Make it to 5,000 and geocache in every State.
11. Do you cache with anyone? Always like road trips.
12. Tell a memorable caching story: There’s nothing that compares to finding a geocache on the top of a hill in Austria, with a group of friends, singing “The hills are alive with the sound of music.” Even if you are scaring off all the wildlife.
13. Bucket list cache? GCK25B Geocaching Headquarters