GoLI Member Spotlight Questionnaire
1. What does your cacher name mean? Sakiman. A number of people think it refers to Japanese wine. I used to ride a motorcycle (Kawasaki). I use a fair facsimile of that bike (’95 Kawasaki Concours) on my personal pathtag.
2. When did you start caching and how did you find out about it? Read about it in a magazine (hiking magazine I think?). Signed up on the website in Feb. 2004 but, didn’t find my first cache until Nov. 2005.
3. Describe your first find. What I thought was my first find turned out to be “taken away” from me. I was naïve to think that this game wouldn’t actually make a 40 y/o climb a tree to sign a sheet of paper. A few days after that, I followed the lat/long #’s on my GPS down a trail alongside the Wantagh parkway to find Chief Wantagh’s Cache https://coord.info/GCGQFQ
4. How many finds do you have? 18,597
a. Traditional Geocache 15153
b. Multi-cache 490
c. Virtual Cache 330
d. Letterbox Hybrid 142
e. All Event Cache Types 496
f. Event Cache 439
g. Cache In Trash Out Event 28
h. Mega-Event Cache 25
i. Community Celebration Event 2
j. Geocaching HQ Celebration 1
k. Giga-Event Cache 1
l. All Mystery Cache Types 1526
m. Mystery Cache 1525
n. Geocaching HQ 1
o. Project APE Cache 2
p. Webcam Cache 27
q. EarthCache 181
r. GPS Adventures Exhibit 3
s. Wherigo Cache 44
t. NGS Benchmarks * 110
u. Lab Cache 191
v. Favorite find type? Would have to say Mystery (if the solution came “easily”) & then Traditional (if it brought you to a notable location) – “someplace you would have never know about if not for geocaching”.
w. Pick one favorite find? MANY memorable finds – won’t really name a Favorite. Then again, the MOST memorable one was where I met my wife (a GPS/geocache brought us together). Second that one with our first cache find together (Suburban Spelunking https://coord.info/GCMHP8). Third would have to be Marilyn’s 10K find (an FTF in Bermuda – Bermuda’s Hidden Treasures #1 – Snorkling https://coord.info/GC3EVRJ)
5. How many caches have you hidden? Not much for hiding (as shown below)
a. Traditional Geocache 24
b. Multi-cache 2
c. Event Cache 4
d. Mystery Cache 5
e. Lab Cache 1
Favorite hide type? Traditionals are the easiest to hide.
Pick one favorite cache that you’ve hidden?
The Sakiman Code – Redux https://coord.info/GC5JGAB
6. Stats review -
a. How many state and country souvenirs? 45 states/17 countries
b. Fizzy - Complete
c. Jasmer - Complete
d. Streak? 137 days
e. Slump? 93 days (early on -- before I met Marilyn)
f. FTFs? Bookmark list says 746 (not sure how accurate that is?)
g. Best caching week? Weekend? 216 in one week/178 in one weekend.
7. Do you trade SWAG? Any signature SWAG items? Don’t really trade swag. Do leave sig. item when I have it or a pathtag on occasions.
8. Like to move trackables? How many do you own? Don’t regularly move trackables but, will move them when the mood hits me. Not sure how many I own but, I will regularly have some of these TBs “visit” found caches as they are logged.
9. Cache with GPS or Phone? GPS – will use Phone in a pinch but, I don’t like it (I am an “old school” cacher).
10. Do you have any geocaching goals? No goals per se. Just to have fun and explore. See where the caches might take us.
11. Do you cache with anyone? My wife, Marilyn (mmacgown – in case anyone needed to know that info? If you did need to know that info, you MUST be new 😉.)
12. Tell a memorable caching story – the night we got married, there was a cache that had been published that day and was still Unfound. After a small reception (family only), we got in the car and drove down to this cache. As we pulled into a parking lot, there was a car making a u-turn on the street. Turns out that BBJKMartin was there as well to find this cache. We shared the FTF and talked for a while about caching in general and how this was her first FTF (I believe she has had a few more since then). This was the first and only cache I found in a tuxedo and the first and only cache Marilyn found in a wedding dress. You can read more if you look at our logs https://coord.info/GC6VJVF
13. Bucket list cache? Too high to shoot but, The ISS cache? https://coord.info/GC1BE91
14. Besides geocaching, what else should we know about you? I like golf, bike riding, reading, travelling.
15. What do you want GoLI to work on? Seems like things are on the right track for the moment. Only thing I can think of at this time would be a regular (monthly maybe) gathering at the same place (kind of like “GoLI’s” place) – closest thing to this is TCDNY gatherings at the LIE Rest area. Only problem is these are at 12:30 a.m. and not many people are not willing to stay up till that time of the day. I also like the recent idea proposed of monthly member “challenges”.